Know Thyself, Or Don't.

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Daydreaming: Friend or Foe?

This post could really be a furtherance of my 'You're living in a dreamworld' post. If successful, you will see an exercise in being clear where you really live. Past/Present/Future.

When I was sharing previously in my 'I love my children' post, I was referring to being really present to my children. But I would like to go further. I have had many experiences when for example; I would be in the Van with the kids on the way to something. Pretty normal. The kids would be "being kids". (translation: lots of noise) I would find myself getting frustrated, OR, having to ask the kids to repeat themselves often. What I have discovered is that allot of the time when I am in the Van with the kids, I am in fact, "lost in my thoughts".

Guess where the thoughts are. Some event or conversation that occur ed earlier. (the PAST) Some thing I need to do, accomplish, or change. (the FUTURE, laced with inadequacy).

Have you ever heard a parent say their kids are growing up too fast? I believe it's because they spend so little time being actually present to/for their kids.

Now this post isn't about making you wrong for not being present for whatever or whoever in your life. I would simply like to challenge you for a day, try to catch yourself and your thoughts. See where you really live. Perhaps for you, it is appropriate for you to be reviewing the past, or what you need to do in the future. The point really is that you are consciously aware where you are at a given moment. At the end of the day see what percentage of your day is spent in the past, present and future. What's really neat is when you see how little time you actually spend living in the real world, RIGHT NOW.

For me, being now aware; when I am in the Van with the kids, I like to stay "right now" with them. Engage with them, listen to them, interact with them. Most of the time, my past and future can wait till later. I am in a closed in space with my kids for a period of time, why not turn it into an opportunity to really "be" with my kids.

The title of this post is "Daydreaming: Friend or Foe?". Take a day to see where you live. See if you are denying yourself or others by not being present. Only you can decide whether daydreaming is "friend or foe", but is that really the point?

Love Always;

The WebGodFather

Add this site to your RSS client: http://landmarkeducation-rocks.blogspot.com/atom.xml

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home