Know Thyself, Or Don't.

Friday, December 16, 2005

I love my kids, BIG SUPRISE

Something really cool is happening this week for me. Now it may sound funny and even obvious. But I have become acutely aware of how much I love my kids.

Several times I caught myself imposing, what are likely, unrealistic controls over my kids. My son was playing with a remote control car that is connected by a wire to the controller. He was swinging the car around by the wire, and I immediately told him to NOT do that as the toy will likely break. But immediately I realized, he was having fun, it was a dollar store car, and I am teaching him to hold back. I was stunned; first that I am such a controlling individual, secondly that I would rob him and limit him in his self expression.

This is not what I am about. I have rebelled against unreasonable controls my whole life. The concept of playing full out in life (in whatever you do) is what I am all about. But there I was stifling my sons self expression. I immediately informed him to play his heart out.

Why do I want to rob the joy of now, of the joy of NOW? I hear seniors get to the end of their lives and often say things like, "If I could do it all over again, I would have brought out the good dishes more often". This relates to our nature of living our lives for "one day" instead of "this day".

Well I am not going to waste any time trying to figure out the "why" of this "one day" mentality. Even in this blog.

Back to my kids. I have been enjoying my kids profoundly this past week. I have these moments where I have a glimpse of just "this moment" with my kids. And what I see is fun, love, adventure, playfulness, risk; and it is REALLY exciting. I see my kids and my heart just starts pounding as I realize, wow, these are my kids.

The muscle of living solely in this moment, one day at a time is new for me. So let me reveal to you that I am feeling the benefits and the pains of exercising a new muscle, but its worth it. I have four kids and they all rock. The all have their own views on things. They are not extensions of me. God created them to be individuals and to express themselves thusly. I guess what I am really saying, is that I am finally seeing my kids as individuals, and I could not be happier. How shallow it would be if they were simply an evolution of me. I think the world has enough of ME already. My siblings would agree that they certainly have had enough of ME. ha ha.

Love Always from,

The WebGodFather
--
Dan Hewton
Love me, or don't, either way, I love YOU.

Add this site to your RSS client: http://landmarkeducation-rocks.blogspot.com/atom.xml

1 Comments:

  • Great sharing Dan. I especially like this:
    "Stuff happens in life that I have no control over. But I DO have control over who I will BE in this life. Tomorrow I am going to be a person unshaken by the events of the day. I am going to be a person who rolls with things and lands on their feet. But I may also throw into this day the role of being a fun Dad and a thoughtful husband."

    my only comment about that is you speak in future based language.. Someday in the future you will be these things.

    Declare who you are TODAY. That's what makes a difference.

    I really like the song. Who wrote and sang it?

    thanks again for sharing yourself.
    Joan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home